A lot of people advocate for figuring out who your audience is, finding the platform where they engage the most, and then focusing on that platform. Melyssa Griffin shares her thoughts on social media on her blog, which includes using video, humanizing your brand, and create quality content.
If you’re looking to create posts that will be widely shared, Moz breaks down what it takes for something to go viral. In a nutshell, you want content that is clickable, shareable, and playable, that taps into people’s sharing impulses, and that you can build a story around.
You should also make tweaks to your profiles on your social media accounts. Bluchic shares a few tips, including having keywords in your bio, using the right hashtags, and listing your business.
Here are some resources to help you grow your presence on social media.
- “These 7 Tools can Help You Develop Better Content” on Search Engine Journal
- “Using Google Alerts to Build Your Author Connections” on Where Writers Win
- Poetweet: A website that generates poems for you based on your tweets.
Figuring Out What To Measure
- “Numbers (and the magic of measuring the right thing)” on Seth Godin: Just because something is easy to measure (like the number of likes) doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to measure.
- “Measuring Content: You’re Doing it Wrong” on Moz: Engagement is important to measure, as is how your content impacts your bottom line.
- “How to measure the true performance of your content” on Search Engine Land: Don’t worry about vanity metrics (such as number of shares or likes) and instead focus on influencers and conversion rates.
Tools for Tracking Social Media
These tools do a wide variety of tasks, and pricing varies. Some of the things they do or track you can do on your own, but if you’re pressed for time, it might be worth looking in to.
- Keyhole: Tracks hashtags, account names, keywords, mentions, and URLs, on Twitter and Instagram, in real-time. Generates in-depth reports. Costs $132/month at the lowest level.
- Mention: Monitors media, finds influencers, and generates reports for analysis. Pricing starts at $29/month.
- SharedCount: Tracks shares and likes on Facebook, Twitter, Google, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and StumbleUpon. Pricing starts at $40/month.
- SocialMention: Real time search and analysis of keywords on multiple sites. Free to use.
- Tailwind: Scheduling, analytics, and insights for Pinterest and Instagram. Pricing starts at $9.99/month.
- WolframAlpha Facebook: Personal analytics for Facebook. Free to use.